Naked in church? Religion Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Dec 14, 2004 at 01:18 PM

How does one reconcile being naked with being religious? I was raised to believe that running around naked was a sin. Despite my love of enjoying nudity, I still get a twinge of guilt about it. Is this more of a problem for catholics (like me) or do other religions instill this type of guilt? And how do you deal with or reconcile these feelings?
  • 58Comments

• View author's info Recommended Posted on Aug 01, 2017 at 09:07 AM

Actually,I'd love to go to a nudist Gay church. First, we worship -- then we give in to lust.

• View author's info Posted on Dec 06, 2016 at 02:05 PM

I am born hindu. Hindu releigion is not agaist nudisum. we do woship god mostly nude. The temple scalptures bebore the christain missonary arrived in India were mostly nude and same also the worshipers. Still the biggest hindu gathering that happens once in a while millions of SADUs congregate for a holydip in river are naked (male and female) there is no sexual activity. By the way small group of hindus who worship SIVA, do use linga as his representation. Linga is penis of lord Siva and sits on an Yoni altar. .

unfortunatly christan missionary made us to be ashamed of nudity

This forum seem to ahve been very old. I hope it could be revived and people start posting their view here

• View author's info Posted on May 17, 2014 at 08:37 AM

Hi. Just thought you folks might enjoy the view on this matter

from the X- head of the Catholic church.

"The human body can remain nude and uncovered and preserve intact its splendour and its beauty... nakedness as such is not to be equated with physical shamelessness... Immodesty is present only when nakedness plays a negative role with rtegard to the value of the person... The human body is not in itself shameful... Shamelessness (just like shame and modesty) is a function of the interior of a person." Pope John Paul 2 Quoted from "Love and responsability". Published by H.T.Willets, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York. 1981

• View author's info Posted on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

You read the first book of the bible was Adam clothed? No he was a nudist, we don't know how long it took him to name tha animals etc, only when he sinned Adam took clothing 

Sondoes god mind you being naked to worship him? If he wasn't that wouldn't babies be born clothed?, when i goto church i go as a nudist, unless its the methodist church, i only go there in hot summer days cos its bloody cold

• View author's info Posted on Aug 05, 2013 at 09:59 AM

The problem PEOPLE have with Nudity in Church !They think this is the only place
    God exists !! I can talk to GODD anywhere . I don't have to go to a church !! I feel closer to GOD out in NATURE !!!
  • View author's info Posted on May 07, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I believe that nudism is not sinful in it's self. When God came to Adam and Eve after they comited their first act of disobedience, it was Adam and Eve who were hiding from God,not God avoiding to fellowship with them.   When God asked them where they were,and why they were hiding from Him.   God was not asking the question to gain information for Himself, but for them to see the fruits that the seed of disobedient started bare.
    So when God asked Adam who told you you were naked?   We see that there was nothing lacking when God created them naked,for earlyer the the chaper 2 of the book of Genisis God created mankind naked and He placed them in a guarden, and told them to be fruitful and multiply and  fill the the earth,and have dominion over the earth and all of the creature of the earth.  The chapter end by stating that Mankind was naked and had no shame. 
    So my conclusion is that we wear clothes to protect our bodies from harm that may be cause by the crused creation that is around us( it could be by averse weather,plant or animal).
    God is not offended if we our wearing closths or if we are naked in His presence . We offend God by living in disobedence to God's teachings on how to live in harmony with him and our fellow man.
    I also what to point out that the fruit of the tree of knowlege was littel . It was not an alagory for sex.     The seed of the sin nature was not the fist sexual act,but disobeying God's comand not to eat the friut of the tree of knowledge.
    Remember God place them in a guarden that was full of things to eat.
    So the tree of knoledge was in the garden not to be food,but to provide free will to obey or disobey God.
  • View author's info Posted on Apr 11, 2012 at 03:26 PM

Greenwoods hit it the closest of what I've read here. When we say we believe in the blood and sacrifice of our Savior and then cover our bodies we return to stating that His sacrifice is not sufficient to cleanse us of sin. Mankind was clothed as a covering of that sin nature and remains clothed only when they have not accepted His sacrifice and cleansing. If we have received His forgiveness and cleansing, then we have no need to remain covered in His sight, as only those yet in their sin and under the covenant of sin need be.
  • View author's info Posted on May 31, 2011 at 08:56 PM

I find this very interesting...your born naked, and when you die the first thing they do is strip you naked and stick you in a drawer. Inbetween thats when the trouble really begins...the time where you get buried in centuries of tradition, strange ideas about morality and sick and immature doctrines disguised as truth.
    Whether you happen to be Catholic, Jew, LDS or or the church of pink faeries, we were all born naked and what is better than living natural? If you suscribe to religion than you should know your Creator knows what you look like naked and isn't put off by it. If science or nature is your god than naked is still the way to go.
    Understanding that much..then naked is the way to go, for health reasons, for religious reasons...heck just because it feels good and is fun!
    I think NAKED WORKS!
    By the way if your christian and looking for nude worship, check into the CNC, Christian Naturist Convocation held in the summer for a start.
    Hope this helps Uriel

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 23, 2010 at 03:16 PM

This thread is over 5 years old, but I still missed it. So if it still has some interest, I will add my few thoughts:

I have been a nudist for well over 60 years. Although Protestant, while dating as a single person, I went out with a number of Catholic girls, and was actually engaged to a nice young Catholic lady.

She tried nudism with me and liked it very much. I used to take her to confession occasionally on Saturday afternoons, so once I asked her, "Do you mention to the priest that you go to the local nudist camp with me?". She said that there was no reason to "because we never did anything wrong there", which I thought was a good truthful answer.

Yes, we got into our share of very heavy petting, if I assune that fellatio and cunnilingus can be classed as "heavy petting" and pent-up as she was from following the tenets of her faith 'religiously', she had very strong orgasms, but like Bill Clinton decades later, "we never had sex" in terms of actual intercourse as that was the big 'no-no'.

We finally broke up because I was too much a Protestant and she a Catholic - the Catholic Church wanted all the kids, if we ever had any, to be raised Catholic and I could not say 'yes' to that.

But in substance, we were both Christians and nudists.

Rogelio
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 21, 2010 at 07:26 PM

God doesn't see our bodies, clothed or naked. He sees our hearts. It is not being naked that may be sinful, but one's motivation for being naked. If one is acting on exhibitionist tendencies or as a means of engaging in "sins of the flesh", whatever they may be, then perhaps there is some sin connected to it. But these thoughts would be sinful whether you were naked or clothed. If one is naked as a means of being open to others, of celebrating God's creation, how can that be sinful?
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 01, 2009 at 03:05 AM

I would like to take the time to address this area. There are several factors to look at. First, we were all born with no cloths on. So, naturally it was how we were raised that molded us in who we are today. You can take charge and control your own fate. If it weighs heavily on your heart, pick a time in the morning and a solitary place to pray and read a few scriptures, of course in the nude. Christians do that all the time. By all means, I can be a prayer partner and hang out in the nude at a specific location. There is nothing wrong with telling people you need some solitary time with God so you can spend time with him. The fact that you are nude is between you and God and others who condone the lifestyle. So, let go, let God, and let it all hang out.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 11, 2009 at 03:22 PM

To whom it may concern :

In my interpretation of the Bible:-

The first book should be called GENOCIDE

The last book REVOLUTIONS

End of ¿lecture (Blessed Be)

• View author's info Posted on Sep 04, 2009 at 10:16 AM

The Gadget Master here I am starting my own Religion one that respects Science and Sex I call it "Church of the Good Life Now"

At the Church of the Good Life Now will attend Nude and their will be Sexual demonstrations

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on May 18, 2009 at 06:00 PM

I agree with Ragless. You are definitely proof that there is a God. You are simply beautiful! Evolution with all of it's trial, error, and mutations wouldn't have done such a good job. Darwin would have dropped the ball. Seen a photo of him lately?
  • View author's info Posted on May 18, 2009 at 05:54 PM

I would love to visit a nude church. I know that there have been services at a nudist camp in Oregon. I met a girl once that attended that camp and went to their church services. Face it, God sees us without our clothes anyway. We're not exactly hiding anything. It would keep us more humble. No more "dressing up for God". Memyselfandi, want to go?
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 17, 2009 at 08:09 AM

Your Judeo-Christian roots are showing. Time for a touchup....

Feeling guilty about being around others, goes back to the old Testament and is similar to a caucasian feeling guilty for slavery.

You didn't commit the original sin (if it occurred) so why should you take responsibility for it.

By the way, I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church. Accordingly, I can grant absolution.

You are hereby absolved from the original sin and can particpate freely in nudist activites...bless you

Reverend Max
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 20, 2008 at 02:09 AM

Why do you feel a " guilty twinch"?
    God has created the world ( including us as part of it) and- as far as I remember- he created every part of it in a natural state, which is definetly a state of nudity.
    Isn't worshipping this creation best done by going out in the woods, to a lake or river or so in the nude? To be and feel as part of this creation?
    Not that this would be the only way to pray, but I think it's a very good one, if one is religous.

regards,

Lucius
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 13, 2008 at 01:53 PM

the reason i think there is a problem with it is because being naked is associated with having sex.
    so some people assume that since you take of your clothes for no apparent reason, or going to have sex.

also, seeing someone naked might lead them to have feeling of lust.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 07, 2008 at 03:26 PM

ServantofGod is absolutely correct. I guess I'm somewhat of an enigma in that I'm a naturist, and a licensed evangelist. I too have studied the original scriptures, and have found nothing to associate being without clothes as a sin. In the scriptures, where the two are together, it also involves a sexual conotation to it. Lust, and adultery are the sins because they cause you to covet (desire something) more than you desire God. When you read Christ's teaching, he boiled it down to two things: Love God with all your heart, and love other's as you do yourself. The word love in english can be taken so many ways, but in the Greek they have different words for each kind of love:
    25. agapao ag-ap-ah'-o perhaps from agan (much) (or compare 5689); to love (in a social or moral sense):--(be-)love(-ed). Compare 5368.
    26. agape ag-ah'-pay from 25; love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast:--(feast of) charity(-ably), dear, love.
    2037. Erastos er'-as-tos from erao (to love); beloved; Erastus, a Christian:--Erastus.
    2309. thelo thel'-o or ethelo eth-el'-o, in certain tenses theleo thel-eh'-o, and etheleo eth-el-eh'-o, which are otherwise obsolete apparently strengthened from the alternate form of 138; to determine (as an active option from subjective impulse; whereas 1014 properly denotes rather a passive acquiescence in objective considerations), i.e. choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication, to wish, i.e. be inclined to (sometimes adverbially, gladly); impersonally for the future tense, to be about to; by Hebraism, to delight in:--desire, be disposed (forward), intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, - ling(-ly)).
    3404. miseo mis-eh'-o from a primary misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less:--hate(-ful).
    5358. philagathos fil-ag'-ath-os from 5384 and 18; fond to good, i.e. a promoter of virtue:--love of good men.
    5360. philadelphia fil-ad-el-fee'-ah from 5361; fraternal affection:--brotherly love (kindness), love of the brethren.
    5361. philadelphos fil-ad'-el-fos from 5384 and 80; fond of brethren, i.e. fraternal:--love as brethren.
    5362. philandros fil'-an-dros from 5384 and 435; fond of man, i.e. affectionate as a wife:--love their husbands.
    5363. philanthropia fil-an-thro-pee'-ah from the same as 5364; fondness of mankind, i.e. benevolence ("philanthropy"):--kindness, love towards man.
    5365. philarguria fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah from 5366; avarice:--love of money.
    5368. phileo fil-eh'-o from 5384; to be a friend to (fond of (an individual or an object)), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while 25 is wider, embracing especially the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as 2309 and 1014, or as 2372 and 3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head); specially, to kiss (as a mark of tenderness):--kiss, love.
    5383. philoproteuo fil-op-rote-yoo'-o from a compound of 5384 and 4413; to be fond of being first, i.e. ambitious of distinction:--love to have the preeminence.
    5388. philoteknos fil-ot'-ek-nos from 5384 and 5043; fond of one's children, i.e. maternal:--love their children.
    The problem with "studying" the Bible is that so many people read the english words, hear someone talk on the subject and form an opinion. Do yourself a favor, actually study the words of Christ instead of assuming you know what He meant. Truly your Brother in
    Christ.
Follow - email me when people comment